I haven’t talked about work in a little bit, so let me fill you in on some cool stuff I’ve been cooking up.
Now that it’s January and the holidays are really really over- customers and fellow team members have been all up in the eating better game. It’s exciting to see people interested in healthy eating and to be asking me more questions about how to change up their habits.
Something fun that Whole Foods has decided to jump on is the Meatless Monday trend. On Mondays, on the hot bar we offer a sweet deal for dinner for all of our awesome meatless options ($8 flat rate for unlimited meatless food- say wha!). Alongside this promotion, I’ve been demoing a recipe on the floor that goes with the theme for the week.
From 5-7 on Monday’s you’ll find me cooking cooking cooking!
- The first week’s theme was Italian and I demoed Chickpea Parmesan and a Roasted Greens Panzanella Salad.
- This week’s theme was Indian and I demoed Curried Avocado while cooking up an Easy Chickpea Curry served over Coconut Brown Rice.
- Next week’s theme is Tex-Mex (followed by Comfort food) so you should totally stop by and/or stay tuned for what I got going on.
In addition to Meatless Monday demos, I’ve been doing a series of “Veggie Makeover” demos where I take a not so popular vegetable and make something fun with it.
- The first week in January, I chose collard greens and made this awesome Kenyan Style Greens recipe. This was my FIRST time cooking with collards!
- This week, the vegetable star is cauliflower (be still my heart) and I’ve been demoing a Spanish Style Cauliflower Rice. No actual rice involved of course- but cauliflower pulsed in a food processor to resemble rice.
- Next week I’ll be featuring turnips… and I still have NO IDEA what I’ll be making with those bad boys yet. But I promise something good.
On top of these “on the floor” demos, I’ve been gearing up for a healthy eating challenge that focuses on eating better through small daily choices- which I’ll be leading in February! If you live in the area and my store is convenient for you and you’d like to participate/learn more… please let me know! I’m really really really excited about it.
Other than that, I’ve been meeting more and more “regulars” in the area, helping people grocery shop smarter in the store, answering a lot of random healthy eating questions, and overall just trying to be a familiar, go to face for any and all good/healthy eats questions or concerns.
I feel like this a good time for me to throw out there- you guys reading online can ask me similar type questions and reach out to me about the same stuff via the internet. I’m here to help in whatever way I can.
Whole Foods has this wicked awesome Healthy Eating Handbook that contains advice on things like meal planning, grocery shopping, smoothie making, and making the most out of cooking with spices. The best part is- it’s available fo’ free to download online! If you click here, you’ll see the link to download it on the right hand side of the screen!
It’s been a good month so far and we’re only half-way through.
Keep it wicked healthy xoxo